Successful Launch of the Inaugural ASEAN Law Academy
1. From 19 to 26 July 2018, 53 government officials from ten ASEAN member states, officials from the ASEAN Secretariat, and legal practitioners and educators gathered in Singapore to attend the inaugural ASEAN Law Academy, that was announced by Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, at the 32nd ASEAN Summit on 28 April 2018.
2. The ASEAN Law Academy is a programme run by the Centre for International Law, National University of Singapore. It is one of Singapore’s key initiatives as Chair of ASEAN 2018, and is organised with the support of the Ministry of Law and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As the ASEAN Chair 2018, Singapore strongly encourages efforts towards integration and community-building for regional peace and prosperity.
3. Senior Minister of State for Law, Mr Edwin Tong said that, “I am pleased with the successful conclusion of the ASEAN Law Academy, which was attended by practitioners, government officials and legal educators across the region. I am confident that this initiative, which was undertaken during Singapore’s ASEAN Chairmanship year, will be useful to legal practitioners seeking to understand ASEAN Law and Policy issues, as well as ASEAN’s pursuit of economic and legal integration.”
4. The seven-day intensive programme aims to promote a greater understanding of the different legal systems in ASEAN to enhance ASEAN legal integration. Specifically designed for ASEAN policy makers, the Academy also aims to facilitate the deepening of ASEAN rules–based integration, especially in the ASEAN Economic Community, for the economic development and prosperity of the region.
5. Mr Ng How Yue, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Law said that, “the ASEAN Law Academy is the first platform for the region where ASEAN Law and Policy issues can be discussed in a collaborative and practice-based setting. It also promotes the development of a legal education curriculum for ASEAN Law. The work of the Academy will be instrumental in developing discourse on ASEAN Law and facilitating ASEAN legal integration.”
6. The Academy covered a range of topics, including the enhancement of the administration of ASEAN rules, laws regulating non-tariff barriers, rules of origin, and investments in the ASEAN Economic Community; ASEAN’s external trade and political relations; and modalities of dispute settlement in ASEAN.