Notification for Relief
We recommend that both parties first discuss, understand each other’s positions, and try to reach a compromise, taking into account the framework set out in the Act as well as the rental relief framework set out in the Amendment Act.
A Notification for Relief is NOT a Notice under the Re-Align Framework
The Re-Align Framework is a separate and different relief regime.
Under the Re-Align Framework, eligible businesses which have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 can renegotiate certain types of contracts, to realign with the current economic conditions, failing which the businesses may seek to terminate those contracts. As an alternative to contract termination, the Re-Align Framework provides eligible hirers and renters of commercial equipment and vehicles to take up a Repayment Scheme to pay outstanding arrears in instalments. A party who wishes to seek relief under the Re-Align Framework would have to serve a notice on their contracting party.
The Re-Align Framework has not come into force. Further information on the notice that has to be served will be announced at this page when the Re-Align Framework comes into force.
Relief for inability to perform contractual obligations
If you require relief under the Act for a contract that is covered by Part 2 of the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act 2020, you have to serve a Notification for Relief.
The party seeking relief must serve a Notification for Relief on the following Recipients, where applicable:
- The other party or parties to the contract;
- Any guarantor or surety for the obligation in the contract; and
- The issuer of a performance bond or equivalent for the performance of the obligation, where the contract is a construction contract or supply contract (“Issuer of Related Performance Bond”).
Please take note of the following deadlines to serve a Notification for Relief:
|Deadline to serve Notification for Relief
||Categories of Contracts
|19 November 2020
||– Leases and licences of non-residential property
– Hire-purchase and conditional sales agreements with banks or MAS-regulated finance companies for commercial vehicles, or plant/machinery used for commercial purposes
– Loans to SMEs secured by certain collateral in Singapore
|31 January 2021
||– Hire-purchase and conditional sales agreements with financing companies (other than banks or MAS-regulated finance companies) for commercial vehicles, or plant/machinery used for commercial purposes
– Rental agreements for commercial equipment or commercial vehicles
– Event and tourism-related contracts
|30 June 2021
||– Options to purchase and sale and purchase agreements with developers
|30 September 2021
||– Construction contracts or supply contracts, or any performance bond granted thereto
Please note that that the service of the Notification for Relief does not constitute a filing with the Registrar.
Service by the electronic system
To serve the Notification for Relief using the electronic system (if you have an email address, and have the email address(es) of the Recipient(s)):
- If you are acting on behalf of an entity that is a party to the contract, please use this link (CorpPass).
- If you are an individual who is a party to the contract, please use this link (SingPass).
Note: It is important that you use the correct link to serve the Notification for Relief. Otherwise, the Notification for Relief may be ineffective.
To register for a SingPass or CorpPass, please visit https://www.singpass.gov.sg or https://www.corppass.gov.sg, respectively.
Service by other modes if you are unable to use the electronic system
If you are unable to serve the Notification for Relief using the electronic system, please download the Notification for Relief serve the form using the other modes of service.
- If you are acting on behalf of an entity that is a party to the contract, please download this form.
- If you are an individual who is a party to the contract, please download this form.
Changes to the Notification for Relief
You must ensure that the contents of the Notification for Relief are correct. You will not be able to change the contents of the Notification for Relief once it is served. If you made an error in the Notification for Relief that you served on the Recipient(s), you will need to serve a new Notification for Relief and serve a Withdrawal of Notification for Relief in respect of the previous Notification for Relief.
Pending Court or Arbitral Proceedings
If you have served a Notification of Relief, and there are pending court or arbitral proceedings in respect of the obligations covered under the Notification of Relief against you, please refer to here for the processes for you to obtain a stay or dismissal of those proceedings.