Enhancing Singapore China Legal Cooperation at Singapore China International Commercial Dispute Resolution Conference 2023
20 October 2023 Posted in Press releases
1. Singapore-China legal cooperation is set to be strengthened at the third Singapore-China International Commercial Dispute Resolution Conference, which will be held on 20 October 2023 in Singapore. The one-day Conference is jointly organised by the Ministry of Law (“MinLaw”), the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (“CCPIT”), and the International Commercial Dispute Prevention and Settlement Organization (“ICDPASO”).
2. This year’s Conference gathers eminent speakers from the government, legal and business sectors in Singapore and China, to discuss topics relevant to both countries through a series of speeches and panel discussions. Key topics include dispute resolution in infrastructure projects, intellectual property and technology-related disputes, as well as maritime and shipping disputes.
3. The Conference will also feature discussions on how lawyers and dispute resolution practitioners can build on existing partnerships and further collaborate to help businesses resolve their commercial disputes in a more efficient and cost-effective manner, to promote cross-border trade, commerce, and investment.
4. Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, and Second Minister for Law Mr Edwin Tong SC said, “Singapore and China enjoy longstanding and multi-faceted relations, underpinned by frequent high-level exchanges, institutionalised platforms and substantive cooperation. Legal cooperation between our two countries is a more recent development, with much headroom to grow. This joint Conference is an example of efforts to bring our experts together, to explore how Singapore and China can partner each other to resolve common challenges, and to provide an opportunity for our practitioners to network with one another. I look forward to strengthening our legal cooperation with China, and with CCPIT, in the coming years.”
5. Vice Chairman of CCPIT, Dr Yu Jianlong said, “The Singapore-China International Commercial Dispute Resolution Conference is a key achievement of the CCPIT’s and MinLaw’s efforts to deepen our commercial legal collaboration. This conference has successfully established a new platform for China and Singapore to come together to discuss potential collaborations on dispute resolution on an international front, and its impact will continue to grow. CCPIT is keen to work together with parties to continue to achieve breakthroughs, pursue excellence, create networks amongst corporates, expand our international networks, build more platforms for interaction and collaboration, and to work with Singapore to establish the Conference as an international flagship event.”
6. The Conference follows the signing of the Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) between MinLaw and CCPIT at the second edition of the Conference in April 2022, committing to jointly organise a high-level conference on cross-border legal and dispute resolution services annually.
MINISTRY OF LAW
20 October 2023
Last updated on 20 October 2023